Before Calling CCAC

Involve all key family members in the decision. The prospective resident may have to make the ultimate choice, but it is best to keep other family members informed.

Before making a final decision, it is optimal for the prospective resident and/or a designate, someone they trust to tour a number of facilities, including Kristus Darzs. It can help answer many questions. It is advisable to phone and make an appointment to tour the facility to ensure there is someone to show the prospective resident and family member(s) around as well as to ensure that they have set aside the time to answer questions. The link to a listing of web-sites to help prospective clients as they begin their search for a Home can be found at There is also a checklist that can be printed off and used when considering a Home. Click here: Check List

If the prospective client does not have enough income to pay for the basic room, the government can help through a subsidy that will bring the cost down to a level that is affordable. The subsidy is not available to people requesting semi-private or private rooms. The Ontario Long Term Care Association has some valuable information that can be found at on the topic of ‘Who Pays for What’ and other topics pertaining to Long Term Care.

If the prospective resident wishes to apply for a subsidy, they must provide their Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada, which provides proof of their annual income. Normally, everyone receives a Notice of Assessment each year after filing their income tax return. If the prospective resident cannot find their Notice of Assessment, they can call Revenue Canada at 1-800-959-8281 and they will be sent the information they need.

Applying for a subsidy requires that the prospective client disclose only their annual yearly income. It does not include the value of their assets. More rate reduction information and the forms required to be filled out can be found on our website homepage.

If a large portion of pension income will be going towards payment for the facility which leaves a spouse with little or no income, the prospective client can call the Income Security Program at 1-800-277-9914 for further information about Involuntary Separation, (the application does not affect marital status, but only the eligibility amount for the supplement).

Persons who hold a Power of Attorney have legal authority to make decisions on the behalf of prospective clients, if they were to become incapable of doing so themselves. There are two forms of Power of Attorney: Power of Attorney for Property and Power of Attorney for Personal Care. The first acts for the prospective client with respect to finances, the second with respect to their medical and housing needs. If the prospective client hasn’t already assigned someone as their Power of Attorney, it is probably the right time to do so. They can assign each Power of Attorney to the same individual or to different people. Those to appoint should be individuals the prospective client trusts and who know their preferences and will act upon them, even in stressful situations. The prospective client may ask a lawyer to draw up these papers or they can obtain a copy of the Power of Attorney kit by contacting:


Ministry of the Attorney General

Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee
595 Bay Street, Suite 800
Toronto, ON M5G 2M6
Telephone: 416-314-2800
Toll-free: 1-800-366-0335
Fax: 416-314-2698


The Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee is also available to advise prospective clients if they do not have a designated Power of Attorney.

The publication A GUIDE TO THE SUBSTITUTE DECISIONS ACT gives a good description as to how a decision-maker may be appointed for a mentally incapable person.